Monday 9 November 2015

My Adaptation in the Canadian Culture and Their Specialties

I came to Canada for the first time about 3 years ago, and I could delight in almost all the Canadian’s dishes. I need to confess, I didn’t know at that time too much about the traditional dishes. I always thought that Canadian food was pretty similar to American, and it is. A lot of junk food, frozen food, and the fresh foods are expensive. But I discovered that here in Canada, they have a strong influence from Europe and others countries all of the world. Because of the immigration, you can find everything that you want, especially here in Toronto, you can find food from everywhere: Italy, Ethiopia, Thailand, Vietnam, Portugal, Mexico and Brazil. I love that! It’s like when you go to The Epcot Center at Disneyworld, and you can choose which country you want to visit, here it is a little bit of that. Don’t you think is amazing? 

LITTLE ITALY



 LITTLE PORTUGAL

 CHINATOWN

TRADITIONAL ETHIOPIAN RESTAURANT

But coming back to my Canadian experience, it was disastrous! First I don’t like bacon, actually I don’t like pork food. Poutine, Canadians love poutine, but for me it is not fun, not at all. It is soggy french fries, gravy and cheese on top. I believe that the real poutine recipe is not so bad, it could be good. But the way they are selling it here, it’s just bad fat and no taste. If anyone could give me a tip where to eat a real good one, I would love to know and try it.


Poutine was born in rural Quebec in the 1950's. The most widespread is that poutine originates from a restaurant formerly called Le Lutin qui rit in Warwiick, In 1957 a client named Eddy Lainess would have asked to owner Fernando Lachance to mix the cheese curds with fries. 

POUTINE PIZZA???

Today I am living in Toronto, and I had to learn how to enjoy the Canadian Cuisine. So, I started to eat pork, some I liked! I read in an article that pork is not too bad for your health. Actually pork is one of the best meats that you can have these days. Poutine I had to have, to adapt it to something that I really can like, and that’s worth it. I will do a tutorial soon on my videos, how to make a good one.  With real gravy, crispy french fries and for cheese I will use a real one, not a fake cheese or processed cheese. And bacon, I need to tell you guys, I’m still trying, just the smell makes my stomach wrap. For my diet, to have for breakfast bacon and eggs; hash brown potatoes and coffee with cream, it is little bit heavy. I still prefer my tropical breakfast: fresh orange juice or coffee with skim milk; french bread with butter and scrambled eggs.


                 















                                                              CANADIAN BREAKFAST 
                                                                                  X 
                                                               BRAZILIAN BREAKFAST

                                 





I am very happy to be here and be able to enjoy all this culinary difference. What I said in one of my posts before, is that I love learn. Every week I can try and learn something different, and see if I like it or not. But the best thing for me is how to improve the dishes. You can change the recipes a little bit, add some ingredients, or change the way to prepare it, it is just up to you. It’s just about TRYING IT!





2 comments:

  1. Lolô, thinking out loud, ok?! Instead of bacon you can use grilled prosciutto. If you want to make it healthier you can use buffalo mozzarela and baked potatos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written well!!!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete